Why Choose Nontoxic Cleaning Products?
While there are many effective household cleaning products available in your local supermarket or discount store, you may see some surprising ingredients if you read the label closely.
Many of these products contain harmful chemicals such as chlorine bleach, ammonia, petrochemicals, and VOC’s. It is risky to have these chemicals in your home in the case of accidental ingestion or physical contact. Breathing the fumes of some chemicals, especially over time, can be damaging to your health. In addition, small amounts of residual product can be left on surfaces or in the air following cleaning, adversely affecting your home’s air quality.
Important reasons to consider using nontoxic cleaning products such as those available from Natural Choices:
- Protect children & pets from accidental poisoning
- Protect yourself from contact with these ingredients
- Protect your home’s indoor air quality
- Protect the environment and water table
It is important to properly dispose of any leftover toxic cleaning products after switching to nontoxic. Improper disposal, such as pouring them down the drain, on the ground outside, into storm sewers, or throwing them out in the trash can pollute the environment and pose a threat to human health. Many communities across the country offer options for safely disposing of toxic cleaning products, known also as “household hazardous waste.” Check with your local environmental, health, or solid waste agency for information.
The EPA suggests the following options for disposing of your toxic cleaning products:
- See if your community has a facility that collects household hazardous waste year-round.
- Check if there are designated days in your area for collecting solid waste at a central location.
- You may be able to drop off certain products at local businesses for recycling or proper disposal.
- Always read product labels for proper disposal instructions.
For more information on disposing household hazardous waste, visit the EPA’s website.